Thursday, January 31, 2008

Paul Potts



I do not care for "reality television" in any of its unscripted, overdone forms. In fact, I don't even own a real television (defined here as a device that actually does display a broadcast signal). When I travel, I watch whatever is on, and in doing so I've found that contestant oriented dramas such as American Idol make me cringe.

Therefore, it's not a surprise that I am likely the last person on the planet to hear the story of Paul Potts. No, not the insane, genocidal Brother Number One of Cambodia - because that would be weird - but here I write of the awkward, insecure, dentally challenged mobile phone salesman performing on American Idol's sister program in the United Kingdom, Britain's Got Talent.

The video above documents his initial performance on the show.

I did not see this coming, and neither did the judges.

Update (April 16, 2009):  Just as inspirational.