Friday, July 4, 2008

The Peachtree

Mark and John Truslow, photo by Patti Truslow

Today I ran The Peachtree Road Race, a 39 year old tradition integral to Atlanta's celebration of Independence Day. The Peachtree is a 10k for which I started training at the beginning of April primarily in an attempt to lose some weight (20 pounds so far, more to go) and also to participate in something I'm often too lazy even to watch.

I can not boast about my results, beyond saying that I ran the whole way. That in itself is quite an achievement for me, as I could not run at all in April and could not run much more than three miles at the end of May. Somehow, I made it.

Actually, I made it with the positive encouragement of my brother. I knew that I wanted to lose the weight, and he not only gave me the athletic goal, but the constant support that I needed to get it done. Thank you, Mark.